The market operates on a public car-park leased by the Rotary Club of Belconnen from the ACT Government, which stipulates a range of goods that may or may not be sold at the market.
The sale of poultry is permitted in so far as it is undertaken within the requirements of section 10 Handling and Transport of the Code of Practice for the Welfare of Poultry: non-commercial 2010.
List of prohibited items:
The following activities are not permitted:
- The sale of animals, other than poultry as stated above, is not permitted.
- The sale of firearms as defined under the Firearms Act 1996.
- The sale of hazardous substances and dangerous goods as defined under the Dangerous Substances Act 2004.
- The sale of liquor as defined under the Liquor Act 2010.
- The sale of medicines, poisons and therapeutic goods as defined under the Medicines, Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Act 2008.
- The sale of pest plants and animals as defined under the Pest Plants and Animals Act 2005.
- The sale of R and X rated publications, videos and games as defined under the Classification (Publications, Films and Computer Games) (Enforcement) Act 1995.
- The sale of tobacco as defined in the Tobacco Act 1927.
- The sale of vehicles as defined under the sale of Motor Vehicles Act 1977.
- Flammable liquids
- Long bows
Any other dangerous good.
- Any animals other than poultry – refer to the paragraph above regarding poultry.
- New and used cars.
- New and used motorcycles.
Other items not permitted:
- Daily newspapers
- Goods that contravene intellectual property laws, including copyright.
The Rotary Club of Belconnen retains the right to refuse a stallholder to sell any goods, items or food that is inconsistent with the conditions for operating stalls.